Well, it’s official guys, the Maxim Hot 100 has been released for 2012. This is seriously big news, I mean, if you’re like a fifteen-year-old male. Personally, this list is always a little lulzy for me. First of all, it’s pretty much just an excuse for the editors of Maxim to get their brand name out and in the news -it’s free publicity, so maybe it’s actually kind of smart on their part. Hmm. Anyway, it’s an extremely vapid list that only counts “hotness” as the key factor. I think it says a lot about our society that there’s so much press coverage and so-called “hype” on an extremely subjective list based on how sexy a woman is. I mean, there was even a TV show on VH1 about it.
This year’s list was even a little more smarmy because they decided to put Amanda Knox (no. 92) on the list, as in the girl who was accused (and convicted, but it was overturned) of murdering her abroad roommate. I don’t know about everyone else, but I think that’s going a little too far. Yeah, she’s a very pretty girl, but come on, she was convicted of murder. It’s just tacky and attention-seeking.
The funny thing about this list is if you look at the top 50 or so, it’s pretty much women who’ve been really relevant in the media or who are about to drop an album or release a new movie. For example, let’s take the top ten:
- Bar Refaeli
- Olivia Munn (has Magic Mike coming out June 29 and has Aaron Sorkin’s new HBO drama The Newsroom coming out later this year; both are being highly talked about in the press, especially Magic Mike aka the male stripper movie)
- Mila Kunis (has a new movie with Mark Wahlberg coming out in July; she’s been really popular lately, too, with Black Swan, Friends With Benefits, etc.)
- Katy Perry (just got divorced, is releasing new songs like every other week -which subsequently means new album, and has her 3D movie coming out later this summer)
- Olivia Wilde (People Like Us coming out June 29)
- Jennifer Lawrence (um, have you heard of the Hunger Games?)
- Emma Stone (Amazing Spiderman, is just coming off a really big year with The Help, Crazy Stupid Love, and Easy A; frequently in the press)
- Megan Fox (JUST GOT PREGGERS)
- Malin Akerman (has that new Tom Cruise movie Rock of Ages coming out)
- Adrianne Palicki
Okay, so out of the ten, eight of them are currently really big names in the press right now. I’m not saying that they aren’t attractive -hello, I think most of these girls are gorgeous, but it’s pretty fitting that a lot of them have either big franchise movies, make-or-break movies, or a big album coming up.
Also, I find it sad that out of the top 25, they’re all white except for two half-asian girls and one half-mexican girl. And out of the top ten, there’s only one girl who’s not white -well, she’s half white, actually (Olivia Munn, half-asian). This list shouldn’t matter, but unfortunately to many young girls, they think it does. I think what’s most sad about this whole “HOT 100” thing, is that little girls will get this idea that boys will only care about them if they look “HOT” and “SEXY” like these women. This list emphasizes looks over intelligence and personality, and it emphasizes a look that is skinny, white, and hyper-sexual. So if there are any little girls (or any age girls) reading this right now, my words to you concerning this list are…
NO ONE REALLY GIVES A CRAP ABOUT THIS DUMB STUFF. YOU SHOULDN’T EITHER.
Maybe I’ll make my make my own HOT 100 list of hot dudes.